VENUES & ACCESSIBILITY
RAUMA ART MUSEUM
Kuninkaankatu 37, 26100 Rauma
The Pinnala building, today the home of the Rauma Art Museum, is one of the most well-preserved buildings in the Old Rauma district. It illustrates the way of life of prosperous urban dwellers in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. All the old outdoor buildings still remain.
The Pinnala main building, completed in 1795, was the first privately-owned stone building in Rauma. It was built by Efraim Broman, who was involved in the international timber trade and managed a shop in the Pinnala building. Pinnala remained a trade locale until 1970, when it was repurposed for museum use.
The outbuilding in the corner of the plot consists of several sections, built from log and board. The log-built section, built in 1839, originally provided shelter for livestock and horses, with a cowshed and stables capable of housing five cows and five horses, as well as two utility sheds.
The Rauma Art Museum is located in the wooden old town of Rauma, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
There is no accessible entrance to the Rauma Art Museum and there are several steps to all entrances. Wheelchair access to the museum is possible with the help of a personal assistant or museum staff from the more spacious entrance door from the courtyard: you have to get up one step at a time or go up a steep wheelchair ramp. Parking is available near the museum.
The exhibition space on the ground floor of the museum is accessible, but there is an 11 cm threshold between the entrance hall and the exhibition gallery. The artworks in the exhibition are on display on two floors. There is no lift. There are 27 stairs to the first floor. The exhibition rooms have seats with no armrests. There are no accessible toilet facilities at the museum.
Valtakatu 1, 26100 Rauma
Tarvontori is an abandoned shopping centre in the city of Rauma, where the question of its demolition has been the focus of heated debate throughout the 2010s. The building previously hosted a Sokos department designed in 1972 by architect Paul Autere, and turned into a shopping centre in the early 2000s after the department store relocated. In early 2019, it was confirmed that Tarvontori and the nearby Rauma bus station would be demolished and replaced by a new shopping and travel centre complex.
The artworks in Tarvontori are accessible by wheelchair.